Walking past the beauty counters in malls, there were at least three brands that usually stood out for me when it came to whitening and brightening claims. One of them was SK-II, so when I got the chance to try out their latest serum, the Cellumination Essence EX, I was pretty stoked. After all, it packs a hefty tagline: “COME CLOSER, EVEN CLOSER. NEW SK-II CELLUMINATION ESSENCE EX BRINGS HIGHLY DEFINED AURA EVEN UP-CLOSE AT 20CM”
The Cellumination line is not a new line. In fact, the formulation has been revamped with SK-II calls a new “Aura-Bright Cocktail”, which aims to deliver micro-evenness of tone and texture, even at a close range of 20cm. Hence, SK-II’s Cellumination EX line is the result of SK-II’s latest ground-breaking research and innovation, comprising of two items – the essence and moisturizer (Cellumination Deep Surge EX). The essense itself is designed to refine and radiate skin, as if illuminating the skin cell by cell.
So how’d it go? I tested it for about four weeks, and here’s my ever trusty pros and cons list (plus a new ‘descriptor’ list):
BRIEF PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
– The essence has no discernible fragrance.
– It has an emulsifying, runny liquid-type texture, and needs to be patted into the skin gently rather than rubbed into the skin. It’s white in color.
– It absorbs almost instantly, after which you can follow up with your moisturizer.
– As it’s a photosensitive product, I recommend using this at night to get the full results. Using this in the daytime may not be as efficacious.
– Lovely, hygienic packaging. The serum is housed in a lux, teardrop-shaped glass bottle with a dropper dispenser. One dropper-full is usually more than enough for me.
– I tested it on fresher scars (about two months old) and the scar pigmentation lightened considerably. E.g., if my scar pigmentation is a 5, I’d say that it lightened to a 3.5 within a month (on a scale of 1-5, 1 being the lightest).
– Overall skin tone appeared brighter and more even. I did not need as much foundation on my problem spots (my temples and forehead).
– Almost instantly absorbed and dried to a lovely, velvety finish.
– It didn’t alleviate the existing clogged pores on my cheeks, and did clog me up a little bit more. However, the clogged pores did not progress to pimples.
– On much older hyperpigmentation due to scarring, there wasn’t much change in lightening. I might report back after using this essence for much longer as I’ve only been using this for about a month.
Out of all the whitening and brightening serums I’ve tried, I must say that SK-II’s Cellumination EX performed the best. It is one of the more higher-end serums, priced at RM499 for 30ml, and across the border, it’s priced at SGD 199 and SGD299 for 30ml and 50ml respectively. However, it works faster than what I’ve used previously. One thing to note is that on older scarring and hyperpigmentation, you’ll definitely need more time and lots of sunscreen, in addition to religiously using your whitening essences/serums, before you’ll see a difference.