Hi ladies, hope everyone’s week is coming along swimmingly! Today’s review is all about one of my Holy Grail products: the Clinique Blended Face Powder and Brush.
Read on to find out exactly why this loose powder is one of my can’t-live-without staples!
Let’s get right into the thick of things and list the pros of this great product.
- Feel: This powder is incredibly lightweight and doesn’t feel thick or heavy on my face.
- Texture: This powder is very finely milled, so it doesn’t splotch or clump when applied to the face. It also blends beautifully, and doesn’t settle into fine lines or laugh lines.
- Coverage: It’s meant to offer sheer coverage, but in fact it’s quite buildable. If you want more coverage, just buff a second layer on. Also, unlike some other powders, layering it on doesn’t result in a cakey look at all!
- Finish: Simply put, this powder looks great after application. I bought mine in 08 Transparency Neutral, and it brightens up my skin tone (without making me look pasty or ghostly!), makes my skin look refined and smooth, and nicely sets my liquid foundation for the day. In fact, there are days where I don’t use liquid foundation and go straight for this powder after applying moisturiser – and it still looks lovely and fresh. Also, dusting some over the eyelids and right below the eyes helps eyeliner/eyeshadow stay in place and helps mascara not flake off over the course of the day.
- Oil control: This mattifying powder absorbs a fair bit of excess oil and takes the shine off my T-zone for a large part of the workday. Good stuff.
- A little goes a very long way: I only have to barely touch my makeup brush to the powder for it to pick up just the right amount to cover one cheek!
- Multiple methods of application: The Clinique website recommends the Clinique’s Powder Rubdown technique – “Pour powder into palm of hand, coat fingertips with powder then gently pat and smooth fingertips over skin. Brush off excess.” I’ve tried this method before and it does result in beautiful coverage, but I find it a little messy and therefore use a brush most days (which, in my opinion, is equally effective).
Despite this glowing review, there are two minor cons that come with this product. Firstly, I am not a huge fan of the brush that comes with the powder. It’s retractable and small, which makes for easy toting on the go, but I don’t particularly like the bristles, which are a little rough and sometimes shed. Instead, I use my EcoTools recycled aluminium retractable kabuki brush to apply this powder (with gentle as opposed to vigorous buffing) and it does the job brilliantly. Secondly, the packaging isn’t terribly travel-practical. Unlike Laura Mercier’s loose powder which comes with an ingenious protective cap to prevent spillage, Clinique’s loose powder does not. The result is often a touch messy, but it’s a small gripe and not too hard to cope with!
Pour conclure, I think I may have found my loose powder of choice for many years to come. This multi-benefit powder is uncomplicated, unfussy, durable, and reliable. Plus, like all other Clinique products, it’s been allergy tested and is fragrance-free! As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing not to love.
It’s also mighty affordable. A 35g container goes for SGD 50 at all Clinique counters. This is a fabulous price for loose powder as it comes in a pretty big canister that’s filled to the brim when you first purchase it. In the world of loose powder, 35g lasts for absolutely ages. I’ve been using it diligently almost every single day for six months and counting, and I still have three quarters of a canister left!