OK folks. So belle has been a bit kosher (well, VERY kosher) because most of our posts are dead-on skin-related reviews. It’s only the past three months or so that we veered off the well-trodden track a little and I think that it’s good to keep things different now and then.
So today I’ll share with you my skin profile, inspired by the So Loverly ladies. I may not have shown my face (though you can find it on the other blogs if you look hard enough) but take a lookee at my skin profile
Skin type: Normal-combination on good days, combination-oily on not-so-good days. The triggers include hormones, stress and reaction to products.
Skin ailments: Reached puberty at 11 and BAM pepperoni face. I’m not kidding. I was the tall, slightly overweight metal-teethed kid with shiny skin stretched tight with angry acne vulgaris. Took Ro-Accutane when I was 12/13 alongside topical antibiotics and Retin-A. Now acne-free on most days. Body skin is very dry (hello reptilian legs) and I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp.
Skin reactions: My skin’s normal, but it will react to the usual pore-clogging culprits – oil-based skincare/makeup, too much hydration, some forms of silicone (I can’t take the new Clinique Turnaround Concentrate, which is a pity because I absolutely loved the old formula) and even anti-imperfection skincare (the heck, Vichy Normaderm moisturizers?! I seriously broke out AGAIN).
Morning routine: Any cleanser I can find, SK-II essence, Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Corrector, Biotherm Hydra D-Tox eye gel, Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer, any sunscreen.
Night routine: Mandom Cleansing Express water, any eye makeup remover (Biore’s pretty darn good and beats Clinique’s Take the Day Off), any cleanser, SK-II essence, Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Corrector, Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Biotherm Hydra D-Tox eye gel, Clinique Moisture Surge (or sometimes I even skip moisturizer at night – I find that oddly enough, the serums are moisturizing enough and I wake up with less shine and fewer clogged pores).
Special kamehameha (Dragon Ball reference FTW) routine: Origins Charcoal Mask and/or Out of Trouble Mask, or Kose mask.
Panicked problematic clogged pores and zits routine: Clinique liquid facial soap (for dry/combination skin), Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions toner and moisturizer, Biotherm (or any other brand) eye gel. Absolutely no serums.
- Foundation: Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in Intensity 3.0 + a small pump of Lancome Maqui Blanc Miracle in O-04 (I think). I get the exact color match and the addition of Lancome’s Maqui Blanc makes the foundation more 3D (you know what I mean – some foundations just look flat. I look more radiant too!) EDIT: I’m an NC25 in MAC shades.
- Setting powder: Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. Do not use anything else. This will change your life.
- Eyes: Naked 1 palette or the OEM palette (Thanks Connie!) or Face of Australia shadows (Thanks Bee!). Mascara – any will do, not fussed. Liners: I have Estee’s Kohl liner, UD’s 24/7 liners and my Empro liquid liner – depending on the look, I use whichever I need. Primer is an absolute must; I switch between Too Faced and UD.
- Blush: I fail when it comes to blush. Later!
- Bronzer: I swiped on Hoola and it works! (Thanks Rinnah!).
- Lips: Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey (Thanks Kym!) or Maybelline Baby Lips or Benefit Dessert First (Thanks Lyn)! or Stage lipstick (that reminds me, I’m supposed to do a Stage haul review. Brain, wtf u no remember?!)
- Eyebrows: shu uemura (everyone uses their awesome slate pencils, right?) in Gray.
I haven’t identified specific ingredients that are my holy grail or bane. All I know is if something breaks me out or melts my face, that’s it, I’m outta here! However, I can tell you what are my holy grail items that I have used in the past, may still be or am not using it currently, but will definitely use in the future:
HOLY GRAIL: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Clinique 3-Step (I am returning to this range soon because it has worked in the past so very well especially after I take a break from the range), Freeman’s pineapple enzyme mask, Clinique Moisture Surge, Clinique Anti-Blemish range, Clean & Clear cleansers, Mandom Cleansing Express.
I’ll update my skin profile when necessary, but for now that’s all I can think of. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away
Oh. And mini shout-out to all the #evurls – you are all awesome. Thanks for inspiring us to look better, feel better and spend better too (OK the last one…sounds a bit dodge).